21190 PROVINCIAL COORDINATOR LOCALIZING SDGs in RIAU (For Indonesian Nationality Only)
- Pekanbaru, IndonesiaMenara Thamrin, Jl. M.H. Thamrin Kav. 3, Jl. M.H. Thamrin Kav. 3, Kebon Sirih, Central Jakarta, Pekanbaru, Riau, IndonesiaPekanbaruRiauIndonesia
- Full time
“UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, including Indonesia, working to eradicate poverty while protecting the planet. UNDP supports implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In Indonesia, UNDP works with the Government to integrate SDGs into national plan and policies.”
SDGs in Indonesia.
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the corresponding 17 goals that comprise the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is a promissory note, negotiated and signed by 193 governments, written to people and the planet. Agenda 2030 seeks to eradicate poverty in all its forms and dimensions, including extreme poverty, whilst strengthening universal peace and freedom, and improving the environmental outlook of the planet.
SDGs are universal in nature and have a wider scope than its predecessor, the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Indonesia played an important role in shaping the post-2015 development agenda and the current list of SDGs. Moreover, the proposed goals and targets align well with the growth and development priorities of the Government of Indonesia (GoI) stated on the 2015-2019 RPJMN. The GoI is committed to pursue the implementation of the SDGs both at national and sub-national level. In July 2017, the GoI enacted the Presidential Decree No. 59 Year 2017 on the Implementation of the SDGs in Indonesia.
SDGs Localization in Riau province.
UNDP partners with Riau provincial and district governments to implement the initiative of ‘SDGs Localization in Riau province‘, with supports from Tanoto Foundation. The objective of the initiative is to increase the coordination, coherence, efficiency, and effectiveness of the support for SDGs localization by all stakeholders, including state and non-state actors i.e., sub-national government, private sector, philanthropy, academics, civil society organizations, media/press, youth, and other relevant stakeholders.
The initiative commenced in 2016, and the first phase concluded in early 2018. The succeeding second phase of the initiative runs for two years (2018-2020), during which UNDP provides technical assistance to Riau government, mainly through supporting Provincial and District Development Planning Agencies (Bappeda Provinsi & Bappeda Kabupaten).
With supports from UNDP, Riau is the first province in Indonesia that established the inclusive SDGs Coordination Team that involved non-state actors, as mandated by the Presidential Decree No. 59/2017. Riau is ready to launch the Sub-national Action Plan on SDGs (Rencana Aksi Daerah/RAD SDGs) in July 2018, and potentially will be the first province to do so. Through technical assistance from UNDP, Riau is steps ahead than other provinces in terms of integrating the SDGs agenda into local development planning, where it has successfully become the center of excellence for SDGs localization in Indonesia. Ministry of National Development Planning (Bappeda) has promoted Riau as good example for SDGs localization and recommended other provinces and districts to study from Riau on how the provincial level establishing an inclusive structure of SDGs governance, developing SDGs indicator and preparing SDGs action plan. During the first phase of the initiative, at least five provinces (Central Java, West Java, Lampung, South Sumatra and Banten), one city (Batam) and one ministry which is the Ministry of Culture and Human Development which visited and studied about SDGs in Riau province.
SDGs Localization in Riau province – 2nd Phase (2018-2020).
The second phase of the initiative focuses on five areas, as shown below:
- Policy Development and Institutional Strengthening
- Effective Planning and Budgeting for the SDGs Achievement
- Action – SDG Pilot Village(s): accelerators and SDGs principles
- Data ecosystem: Monitor and tracking the achievement
- Advocacy, capacity building and knowledge sharing
Under the supervision of the UNDP Advisor for SDGs and working closely with relevant SDGs project team, the Provincial Coordinator supports the Advisor for SDGs in the development and management of the UNDP SDGs project portfolio. The main role of the provincial Coordinator is to provide key guidance to Advisor for SDGs and other relevant stakeholders, support new partnerships with development partners and the private sector to strengthen the SDGs programme, while also assisting the Advisor for SDGs in managing the SDGs programme by providing project assurance and technical assistance to projects when required as well as conducting overall monitoring and other relevant operational functions. The Provincial Coordinator will supervise some relevant project activities and work in close collaboration with programme and operations units in the CO, technical advisors, experts, Government officials, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP programme and additionally, s/he will liaise with Bappeda Kabupatens, especially the 4 pilot districts in this phase 2 program - and SDGs Team of UNDP Indonesia in Jakarta.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to the Advisor for SDGs in providing strategic inputs for the design and implementation of programmes/projects in Riau province;
- Support to the management of the project/programme, including ensuring effective quality assurance and oversight, and application of Results Based Management across the portfolio;
- Support to the Advisor for SDGs in creating strategic partnerships, and in the implementation of a resource mobilization strategy related to specific high-priority projects;
- Production and dissemination of lessons learnt across the portfolio and ensuring effective cross-project and cross-unit knowledge fertilization;
- Facilitate individual consultant(s)/institution(s) hired by UNDP to implement SDGs-related activities in Riau province (e.g. facilitating partners to conduct analysis of SDGs indicators & to run dashboard development process in pilot districts of Riau province (LOGOD Dashboard), Capacity Building consultant, Gender Consultant, and other as necessary.
- Support the Advisor for SDGs in providing strategic inputs for the design and implementation of programmes/ projects. In consultation with the Advisor for SDGs, the technical analyst is expected to
- Provide inputs and strategic recommendations for the development of relevant programme/project proposals in line with UNDP’s Country Programme and support to Governance area.
- Provide policy advice and technical support to the design and implementation of programmes/projects in the portfolio through consultation with the Government, donors, UN agencies, NGOs/CSOs and other partners.
- Support the formulation exercise by facilitating engagement with stakeholders, inputs from relevant advisors and consultants, and proper preparation of project/programme documents in line with UNDP’s procedures.
- Assist in conducting analyses of the programme/project portfolio to assess its effectiveness in contributing to the intended outcomes, and develop strategies to address identified weaknesses.
- In close consultation with the relevant outcome board(s), identify areas for support and intervention within the outcome areas assigned and any need for outcome level revisions that may be necessary to maintain UNDP’s relevance within the context of the country’s evolving development situation.
- Support the implementation of capacity development strategies to enhance the quality and impact of programmes/projects under his/her supervision.
- Ensure gender-related economic, environmental, public research and analysis, to contribute to the formulation of policies, programme interventions, procedures, guidelines and tools
- Support to the management of the project/programme, including ensuring effective quality assurance and oversight, and application of Results Based Management across the portfolio
- Provide support to the effective management of large and strategic national and regional programmes and projects.
- Ensure effective application of RBM tools and project/programme monitoring and evaluation procedures and guidelines to promote achievement of outcome level results. This includes technical support to the financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects using quarterly monitoring reports (QMRs) and Internal Project Assurance Reports (IPAR) as delegated by Advisor for SDGs
- In collaboration with the project management units, provide support in the development of project annual workplans, including detailed plans for procurement and recruitment of goods and services.
- Support Advisor for SDGs in monitoring Governance programme and projects to ensure they are progressing according to plan, and assist project authorities to problem-solve and implement corrective measures.
- Support Advisor for SDGs in overseeing all stages of project management, including initiation of the project, presentation of the project to the Project Appraisal Committee, entering project data into UNDP’s Enterprise Resource Planning system (Atlas), finalization of donor contribution agreements, coordination of project and budget revisions, and closure of projects based on corporate procedures.
- Ensure proper follow up on audit recommendations.
- Assist in the preparation of project reports for donors.
- To make sure implementation of gender equality accountability framework and Gender equality Results Based management at project level i.e. performance management, gender marker assignment in web based system ATLAS, reporting, etc
- Assist the Advisor for SDGs in creating strategic partnerships, and in the implementation of a resource mobilization strategy related to specific high-priority projects
- Assist in maintaining strategic partnerships with key development partners in government, private sector, civil society, and academia to garner the resources and support required for an effective portfolio.
- Provision of support in strengthening cooperation with key stakeholders Support the communication of the Governance programme/projects in order to facilitate resource mobilization from various sources such as global trust funds, bilateral donors, and the private sector.
- Facilitate information sharing and dialogue within the donor community
- Production and dissemination of lessons learnt across the portfolio and ensuring effective cross-project and cross-unit knowledge fertilization:
- Support knowledge generation and knowledge sharing based on programme/project experiences, and, when appropriate, make contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Compile key sources of information and best practices for projects and thematic issues within the portfolio and facilitate access to this information by programme and project staff and other relevant counterparts. Maintain knowledge and advocacy networks which are linked to thematic issues or projects within the portfolio.
- prepare briefs, talking points, and other documents as required by UNDP Headquarters, UN agencies and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that key programme and project results data and promotional material are available to showcase the progress, achievements and impacts of UNDP’s work in the Governance area.
- Conduct training programme for project staff as necessary on UNDP operational/ project policies and procedures.
- Conducts internal capacity building training for project staff to facilitate appropriate management and timely delivery of project outputs including in gender analysis and gender mainstreaming
- The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
Impact of Results
The role of the Provincial Coordinator is to manage the implementation of ‘SDGs Localization in Riau province’ initiative and produce results and/or deliverables specified in the project document to the required standards of quality and within the specified time and cost. As Provincial Coordinator, s/he will be hold accountable on the implementation at provincial level and on the coordination of the implementation at district level. S/he will provide technical support to Bappeda Provinsi, especially with BAPPEDA-SDGs Secretariat of Riau Province, and liaise closely with relevant SDGs stakeholders at provincial level (which include, but not limited to: local government, private sector, philanthropy, academics, experts, media/press, and youth groups).
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Strong leadership and managerial skill with track records of management roles in a team of multi-diversity background;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member, including Ability to transfer knowledge and motivate people and to build relationships with colleagues, partners, beneficiaries, government authorities, donor organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Conflict resolving skills to manage gender barriers and gender blind behaviors within the project and with partners
- Communication skills to exchange information, and key ideas in a manner that engages the audience and helps others to understand and retain messages about gender equality and parity
- Team and partnership building: Working in teams and empowering project staff to create an enabling gender equality environment on non-hierarchical bases.
- Development and operational effectiveness: Effective leadership and process management for gender equality (teamwork, goal setting, time management, priority setting, meeting management, etc)
- Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Advocacy skills to promote gender equality approaches, to achieve the UNDP Gender Equality agenda or national gender equality agenda with internal and external partners
- Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Contributes to results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes the country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
- Excellent written communication and analytical skill to synergize project financial delivery and support internal capacity;
- Promoting gender equality accountability framework and Gender equality Results Based management
- Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Resource Mobilization
- Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- * Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- * Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Promoting organizational learning and knowledge sharing in gender analysis and gender mainstreaming
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Strong aptitude on public administration and management of development project in the public sector;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Theoretical and/or practical knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment in development programming
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
- Effective leadership and coordination of management for gender equality results based on teamwork, gender focal team setting, goal setting including the development of gender action plan, effective work share, horizontal and reciprocal relationship
- Client Orientation
- Establishing effective client relationships
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and local institutions, government and non-government.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Science, Social Science or related field, but it is not a requirement.
- Minimum of 5 years of working experience in development and/or technical assistance field
- Experience including analytical work, programme/project development in the areas of Governance at the sub-national level (provincial and/or districts)
- Experience working with the private sector, CSO, universities will be highly desirable
- Experience working on Sustainable Development Goals issues
- Language Requirements:
- Fluency (both oral and written) in English
- Other Skills
- Excellent drafting and writing skill in both Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Experience in planning, drafting and review of public policy and related budgets, particularly in respect to development activities at national and subnational levels; and
- Excellent report writing, communication and advocacy skills in both Bahasa Indonesia and English
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with strictest confidence.
UNDP Indonesia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Indonesia at the same grade level and with the similar job description, experience and education requirements.
- Job level
- Mid-Senior Level / Manager
- Job category
- Administration and Coordination
- Educational requirement
- Bachelor's degree graduate
- Recruiter response to application
- Once in a while
- Office Address
- Menara Thamrin, Jl. M.H. Thamrin Kav. 3, Jl. M.H. Thamrin Kav. 3, Kebon Sirih, Central Jakarta
- Non-Profit / Volunteering
- 1 opening
Feel secure when applying: look for the verified icon and always do your research on a company. Avoid and report situations when employers require payment or work without compensation as part of their application process.