30549 DATA SCIENTIST - Pulse Lab Jakarta SC8 (For Indonesian Nationality Only)
- Kota Jakarta Pusat, IndonesiaWisma Nusantara, Jalan M.H. Thamrin, RT.9/RW.5, Gondangdia, Central Jakarta City, Jakarta, Indonesia, Kota Jakarta Pusat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta, IndonesiaKota Jakarta PusatDaerah Khusus Ibukota JakartaIndonesiaIndonesia
- Full timeFULL_TIME
“UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, including Indonesia, working to eradicate poverty while protecting the planet. UNDP supports implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In Indonesia, UNDP works with the Government to integrate SDGs into national plan and policies.”
UN Global Pulse
Global Pulse is an innovation initiative in the Executive Office of the United Nations Secretary-General, harnessing today's new world of digital data and real-time analytics to gain a better understanding of changes in human well-being. Global Pulse hopes to contribute a future in which access to better information sooner makes it possible to keep international development on track, protect the world's most vulnerable populations, and strengthen resilience to global shocks. Global Pulse is being implemented as a global network of Pulse Labs, bringing together expertise from UN agencies, governments, academia, and the private sector to research, develop, test and share tools and approaches for harnessing real-time data for more effective and efficient policy action.
Pulse Lab Jakarta
Global Pulse established Pulse Lab Jakarta (PLJ) in 2012 in partnership with the Government of Indonesia. Pulse Lab Jakarta functions as an open innovation space where policy experts together with UN development practitioners and other partners can experiment with new types of data and emerging technologies and evaluate their potential to enhance both public policy decision-making and community resilience. Following the development of useful approaches, Pulse Lab Jakarta supports institutional adoption of these innovations into policy and practice.
Under the supervision of the Data Innovation and Policy Lead, the data scientist works closely with the PLJ Research team, supporting the analysis and deriving insights from different types of data sets, such as big data, small data, survey data, and official statistics to solve problems for development and humanitarian action. S/he must be able to work with a variety of data types, programming languages and computer platforms. S/he must be comfortable with both hands-on development and research support and have a very good understanding of machine learning as well as statistics including probability, regression, statistical modeling, and statistical inference. S/he must be adept at both understanding the information content of data and transforming and preparing it for analytical and reporting purposes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Support the research team to ensure effective technical support focusing on achievement of the following results:
• In consultation with the supervisor as well as the rest of the research team, drive individual and group research outputs from conceptualization to delivery (include data pre-processing, data analysis, visualization, and presentation of findings).
• Analyze and develop statistical models to uncover insights from mashups of real-world big data, small data, survey data, and official statistics using open source statistical and machine learning tools.
• Develop and use software tools to extract, process and analyse datasets; Designs and implements statistical data quality procedures around new data sources; Ensures that results are robust and statistically sound; Provides assistance in the interpretation of datasets.
• Preparation of technical reports, papers, research summaries, and presentations based on the technical analyses including documentation and ensuring clean code.
• Preparation for project documents and submission to relevant parties for approval
• Contribute to project outcomes of the research team at Pulse Lab Jakarta
2. Support to the effective reporting on progress of project implementation
• Preparation of project workplan and research proposals; reviews and coordinates submissions of research proposals to internal and external stakeholders, ensuring requisite information is included and justified in terms of proposed activities; propose adjustments as necessary; prepares reports and ensures that outputs/services are properly categorized.
• Ensure the preparation of results oriented progress reports in line with the monitoring and reporting guidelines and presents it to the project assurance team on a timely manner;
• Identification of issues and initiates requisite follow-up actions
3. Provides technical and administrative support to the PLJ team focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Provision of technical guidance to stakeholders and serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organisational units to ensure stakeholder requests are understood and well documented
• Preparation of standard terms of reference against project objectives
• Able to present data analysis to an audience of internal and external stakeholders including GoI counterparts and UN agencies
4. Support strategic partnerships and support to the implementation of resource mobilization focusing on the following results:
• Updated database of the relevant public and development partners private sector, civil society and other stakeholders who are counterparts for the project;
• Establishment of filing management for internal databases; updated statistical tables, data content, and other background materials/notes to facilitate audit and other governance reviews.
• Finalization and publication of data analysis reports as a tool to communicate results, deepen stakeholder knowledge and buy-in to the project, and resource mobilization for the project,
• in coordination with PLJ team, drafts research reports
• Preparation of draft correspondence and communications related to all aspects of research projects, including work plan and budgets, revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares project’s contributions for a variety of periodic reports
5. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Organization of training for the PLJ team on research projects.
• Ensures knowledge transfer of research projects to internal and external stakeholders
• Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in project support management
• Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
• Works with research team to build capacity of big data analytics with GoI counterparts
• Develops capacity with internal and external stakeholders on data analysis
6. The candidate of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behaviour including gender discrimination and ensure that:
• Human rights and gender equality are prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
• Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
• Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender is respected within all implementations, including data analytics;
• Differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
• Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementation, enabling accessibility to address barriers resulting from disability, gender, or language whenever possible.
• Ability to perform a variety of routine tasks and duties related to programme support
• Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
• Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
• Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
• Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, as required
• Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
• Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
• Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork, including working in teams and empowering project staff to create an enabling gender equality environment on non-hierarchical bases.
• Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively including communication skills to exchange information, and key ideas in a manner that engages the audience and helps others to understand and retain messages about gender equality and parity
• Managing conflict, including conflict resolving skills to manage gender barriers and gender-blind behaviors within the project and with partners
• Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
• Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
• Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
• Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
MANAGING DOCUMENTS, CORRESPONDENCE AND REPORTS
• Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
• Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
• Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
• Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards
• Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
PLANNING, ORGANIZING AND MULTI-TASKING
• Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
• Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
• Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
• Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
• Promotes knowledge management on gender equality issues
• Theoretical and/or practical knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment in development programming
• Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
Bachelor degree with minimum of six (6) years or Master degree with minimum of two (2) years in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Qualitative Social Science, Computer Science, Industrial engineering, Bio informatics, Neuroscience, or a related discipline.
A minimum 2 years (Masters degree) and a minimum of 6 years ( Bachelor Degree) of professional experience extensively involving statistical data analysis/modeling of real-world quantitative data
Fluency in written and spoken English and Bahasa Indonesia.
• Very good understanding in, and prior experience in utilizing basic statistics, probability, regression, statistical modeling, statistical inference, machine learning, and deep learning is highly desirable.
• Prior documented experience in advanced analytics to uncover insights from mashups of real-world big data, small data, survey data, and/or official statistics using open source statistical and machine learning tools is an advantage.
• Prior experience in conducting advanced analytics in developmental problem spaces, such as developing high-resolution (temporal and spatial) insights of socio-economic conditions, transportation and traffic modelling, etc is highly desirable.
• Prior intensive experience in analyzing and modeling big data such as mobile networks, ride-hailing platforms, satellite imagery, and financial institutions is an advantage.
• Prior experience in image and video analyses is highly desirable.
• Extensive understanding of statistical programming and software including open-source software such as R and python is an advantage.
• Extensive knowledge of big data, open data, and library/software re-use is highly desirable.
• Open-minded attitude to apply traditional statistical methods to new digital data or new applications in non-traditional domains is an advantage..
• Prior intensive experience in analyzing and modeling big data from private firms such as mobile networks and ride-hailing data is highly desirable.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP Indonesia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Indonesia at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements.
- Job Level
- Associate / Supervisor
- Job Category
- Administration and Coordination
- Educational Requirement
- Bachelor's degree graduate
- Recruiter response to application
- Office Address
- Wisma Nusantara, Jalan M.H. Thamrin, RT.9/RW.5, Gondangdia, Central Jakarta City, Jakarta, Indonesia
- 1 opening